Sunday 9 March 2014

Anthony's Favourite Fly-Off-The-Plate Pancakes

  photo AnthonyandGabriel2.jpg

This is my oldest son Anthony.   Almost thirty-eight years ago he made me a mom for the first time and eight short years ago he made me a grandmother for the first time.   He was a delightful little boy and he's a pretty special man, but then I think all my children are special.

 photo HaloweenPicsKids.jpg

This is him with my mom on Halloween, a long time ago.  I think he was about 18 months old there and he was just the cutest bunny ever.  A lot of water had run under the bridge since then and it's nice to look back and think about his growing up years.

He was my cooking son.  He loved to cook (and eat) when he was a lad and he loves to cook (and eat) now.   The apple does not fall far from the tree.

This was his favourite breakfast when he was growing up and I dare say he loves them to this day.   They started off as silver dollar pancakes, but soon became Anthony's Fly-Off-The-Plate Pancakes because as he always gobbled them up as quickly as I could cook them!

 

*Anthony’s Favourite Fly-Off-The-Plate Pancakes*
Family size (must mean at least 4 or five people)
Printable Recipe

This is another
real oldie from the Big Blue Binder. In the amount area it only says family size so I take it to mean that means a lot, because I had a rather large family. My Anthony loved these and for good reason. They are quite simply delicious. The addition of sour cream gives them a wonderful tenderness. I always made them silver dollar size when I was making these. I think he liked them that way because he could get a whole one into his mouth at one time, you know how boys are! Break out the butter and Maple Syrup, you’re in for a real taste treat today!

2 cups plain flour
¼ tsp salt
2 TBS white sugar
6 tsp baking powder
2 large free range eggs
2 cups milk
5 TBS sour cream
4 TBS melted butter
Oil for frying

Whisk together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Put the eggs, milk, sour cream and melted butter into a large beaker and whisk them together well. Make a well in themiddle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients all at once. Whisk together vigorously until they make a smooth batter.

Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Grease lightly with a little bit of oil, swirling it to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Drop the pancake batter onto the heated pan or griddle in heaping tablespoonfuls. Cook over medium high heat until the surface is coated with small bubbles and the underside is lightly browned before flipping them over to cook and brown the other side. Remove to a plate and keep warm in the oven while you are cooking the rest, using up all the batter. Serve warm with knobs of ice cold butter on top and sweet lashings of Maple Syrup.

These freeze very well. Just pop them between layers of grease proof paper and pop them into a zip lock baggie. You can then take out as many or as few as you want at any given time, warming them up for a few seconds in the microwave.




No comments: