Saturday 1 February 2014

Zucchini Casserole

  

I can remember going to visit my sister at her home in Windsor, Ontario about 30 years ago and she had made the most delicious casserole you could ever want to eat.  Zucchini Casserole.  It was just fabulous.  Of course she gave me the recipe.

It had layers of stuffing on the bottom and the top, and in the middle was a mix of wilted zucchini, onions and carrots, with a mix of cream soup and sour cream.   It was fabulous.

It soon became a favourite in our home and it is something I look forward to making every year when the zucchini create a glut in the garden.  You will want to use small to medium zucchini for this recipe as they are the nicest. 

I have never met anyone who didn't immediately fall in love with it. Enjoy!  We sure do!

 

*Zucchini (Courgette) Casserole*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

I love this casserole. It’s my favourite way to cook zucchini when it is coming out my ears. I never tire of it. You can make it totally vegetarian if you substitute the chicken soup with mushroom or celery soup. It tastes just as good!

4 medium zucchini, washed, dried and sliced ¼ inch thick
1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
1 tin of Campbell’s cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 cup of sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
6 TBS of butter, melted
2 ¼ cups of bread stuffing cubes, OR (in the UK) 2 1/4 cups of lightly crushed seasoned croutons (I like the herb and garlic ones)

Pre-heat the oven to 180° C/350° F. Lightly butter a 1 litre baking dish and set aside.

Heat a large skillet on top of the stove and add a few TBS of water. Add the zucchini and lightly sauté until crispy tender. Add the onion for the last five minutes of cooking so that it gets tender as well. Drain well in a colander. Put the drained vegetables into a large bowl and mix together with the grated carrot. Stir in the cream soup and the sour cream. Season with a bit of salt and pepper to taste.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan or in the microwave. Toss with the bread stuffing cubes to coat.

Layer half of the buttered crumbs in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the zucchini mixture over top and then layer the rest of the buttered crumbs on top. Cover tightly with tinfoil and then bake it in the heated oven for approximately 45 to 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes or until the zucchini is tender and the casserole is bubbly and nicely browned. Remove from the oven and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.




 

2 comments:

Khrysi said...

I love Zucchini...my hubby prefers yellow squash.....would this recipe be adaptable to using the squash or a combination?

Marie Rayner said...

I have never used yellow squash Khrysai, but if it is pretty similar to such I I, I can’t see why not!