Monday 25 June 2012

Lazy Daisy Cake



I was feeling a bit blue the other day and decided to bake something to help chase the blues away. I went through my Big Blue Binder and read recipes and thought of my family, and friends and some of the happy memories and times spent in cooking some of the recipes on it's pages . . . and then I baked a cake for Todd. An old fashioned cake . . . an old family recipe . . . and suddenly I felt completely and totally in the pink.

That's the way to shake the blues. Forget yourself . . . go to work, pray for others, do some service, phone a friend, dance, create . . . bake.

*Happiness consists in activity . . . it is a running stream, not a stagnant pool.*

I got the recipe a long time ago from my dear Aunt Freda. She's been gone from us for 5 or 6 years now . . . but there is not a day that goes by when I don't think of her and smile in my heart. She was a dear sweet Aunt, a friend . . . and much beloved. Baking her cake helped me to feel close to her, and to remember sweet and special times spent together.



Lazy Daisy Cake
Makes one 8 inch square cake
Printable Recipe

A hotmilk sponge with a coconut topping that is baked on. Old fashioned, low in fat, simple and very tasty. I like to serve this with tinned fruit for an extra special treat.

2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 TBS butter

Topping:
3 TBS butter
3 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS cream or canned milk (undiluted)
1/2 cup flaked coconut

Preheat the oven to 160*C/325*F. Grease and flour an 8 inch square baking pan. Set aside.

Beat the eggs well. Beat in the sugar and vanilla. Whisk together the dry ingredients. Heat the milk and butter together until the butter melts. Stir the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with the heated milk. Mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes. About five minutes before the cake is done make the topping. Blend the cream, butter and brown sugar in a small pan. Bring to the bubble. Stir in the coconut. Remove from the heat. Once the cake is baked, remove from the oven and spread the coconut topping on top. Heat the grill. Replace the cake into the oven and bake for an additional 2 minutes under the grill until bubbling. Allow to cool in the pan. Cut into squares to serve.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have this recipe, as well. Mother used to make it quite often. I haven't made it for years, but it is one of my all-time favourites.