Wednesday 15 August 2012

Amanda's Steak



All of my children have their favourite meals . . . you know what I mean by favourite meals I am sure. These are the things that I cooked that they loved and could not get enough of. The "Birthday Meal" requests. Each favourite meal was as varied as the child who loved it.

I wonder if you can tell someone's personality from the foods that they love??? I'll have to check into that. Perhaps I could learn something . . .



This delicious steak dish was always our Amanda's favourite way for me to cook steak . . . not that we had steak very often, as expensive as it was, but if we did have . . . you can't get much cheaper than flank.



A much under-rated cut of beef. It's lean and so delicious . . . especially if you don't overcook it. I like to cook it in big slabs, and then cut it into thin slices to serve . . . across the grain of course.



This marinade is really a Teriaki Marinade, adapted I think from a recipe I found in one of Anne Lindsey's cookbooks. The handwritten page in my binder is all spattered and fading fast . . . all the more reason to include it here. Properly cooked, it's flavourful and a real treat to eat!



By the way, Amanda is my youngest daughter. She's now a mom herself, to our only Granddaughter, Maryn. I wonder if she still likes this steak. I'll have to ask her!



Amanda's Steak

Serves 4
Printable Recipe

My youngest daughter's favourite steak. It's tender, flavourful and lean.

1 pound of flank steak
50ml of dark soy sauce (1/4 cup)
50ml of vegetable o(1/4 cup)
2 TBS white vinegar
2 TBS liquid honey
1 TBS peeled and greated fresh ginger root, or 1 tsp of powdered ginger

Score one side of the steak by making shallow cuts all over the surface in a criss cross pattern. Place the meat into a shallow dish. Whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour over top of the meat. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days, or at room temperature for up to 3 hours.

When you are ready to cook, heat the grill to high. Remove the meat from the marinade, discarding any marinade. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side. Slice thinly on an angle against the grain with a sharp knife to serve.

In the UK Flank Steak is also called Skirt Steak.

TIL NEXT TIME!!

5 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Amanda and little Maryn are lovely..Flank is so good:)

Unknown said...

saw your comment on dimples and delight and want to invite you to our Foodie Friends Friday linky party..Reading through your comment I am assuming you may be from France. This party closes at 6 am EST but we do have it every weekend... So I hope you will come and join us and link up a recipe or two... Will now go and check your blog
http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

should have read you about me comment: I see that you are from Nova Scotia. I am originally a Canadian Girl from Saskatchewan. Newest follower now.

PhotoVirginia said...

Here in VA in the US, Flank Steak should be cheaper from what I have read everywhere but it isn't. It is like $8.99 a pound here. I can afford ribeyes and t-bones more than I can Flank Steak because they have that on sale constantly for $5.99 a pound.

PhotoVirginia said...

Here in VA in the US, Flank Steak should be cheaper from what I have read everywhere but it isn't. It is like $8.99 a pound here. I can afford ribeyes and t-bones more than I can Flank Steak because they have that on sale constantly for $5.99 a pound.